Monday, September 26, 2011

How I Price Match at Walmart

In my weekly paper I get ads for many different grocery stores and drug stores, that usually have some good sales. But for me, most of them are about an hour drive away. I only shop 3 stores (Cash Wise, Target and Walmart) most weeks. Having to bring 2 little guys with me when I shop, that is all I have the time or energy to do. However I am able to take advantage of all the great sale prices in all those other stores, by taking advantage of Walmart's Ad Match policy. They have actually been doing this for years, but they are advertising it a lot more lately, and more of the cashiers are trained on how to properly do it. I have never had a problem at the store, and it is so simple! This is how I do it.

1. I search through the ads, looking for good sales (this is when it is handy to have a Price Book to compare prices!). I highlight what I plan on buying at Walmart, and add it to my grocery list. On my list, I also write the price I will be matching for, and what ad it is in (this makes checking out a lot easier).

2. At the store, I keep all the things I am going to ad match separate from my other groceries. Make sure you are selecting the exact brand, size, flavor etc., that is stated in the ad. (Also make sure to look at the shelf price! Sometimes Walmart is cheaper and I didn't realize it. I have almost had them Ad Match something to a higher price! Oops!)

3. At the checkout, I put those up on the belt first. I let the cashier know I will be ad matching the first few things, so they don't just start scanning. I have all my ads ready, and as each item comes up, I show the cashier the ad and tell them the price I am matching it for. (I always do the math ahead of time on things like 3 for $5.00 and write it on the ad, so the cashier and I don't have to think ;) Again - I'm shopping with 2 boys who are usually done with the whole shopping thing at this point! So anything I can do to make this go smoothly, I do!)

That is pretty much it. According to their policy, you don't even have to have the ad with you to get the sale price. I always have the ad with me, so I am not sure how it would work if you didn't. I have never had a problem with them not matching an item, or anything. I did once have a cashier tell me that they weren't supposed to take coupons for items that were matched - which, according to both their Ad Match Policy and their Coupon Policy, is not true. So I have now printed both policies and have them in my shopping binder to reference if needed =)

I save a lot of money shopping this way, and it saves me so much time going to multiple stores!

Have you tried price matching at Walmart? Please comment below and share any tips you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment